Thursday, October 31, 2013

Vanity

A few months ago when I decided to sign up for my course in Interior Design, I realized that I had a project right in front of me. Going from apartment to apartment with different roommates in Manhattan after graduating from college, I didn’t really have the luxury of decorating the way I would have liked to- I was just trying to pay my rent on time. However, since I have finally moved into my current apartment in Westchester with my husband, a place that I feel at home in, I realized how exciting Interior Design is and how much I missed it.
Over the years, I have helped my parents do some updates in their home and even in high school, I redid my room multiple times (and rearranged it whenever I was bored & needed a change, which was often…).
Looking around my room recently, I saw the makeshift vanity that I created from a Container Store folding shelf & a make-up mirror in a different light. The clutter grew to the point where it no longer looked organized no matter how I arranged everything- it was a hot mess. So, I started doing some research and came up with a design solution that I’m super proud of.
My new vanity is 2 separate pieces that I put together- the bottom is a 3-drawer table that I bought on Overstock.com, and the top mirror/drawer combination is actually from Pottery Barn Teen. Both pieces were bought with great deals, and I set it up against the focus wall in our bedroom, where it really pops & brightens everything up.
"Vanity" before... 

Vanity After!
Also, just rearranging the furniture in the room created a ton of space that I never realized I had. We were also able to (very comfortably) fit in some additional furniture, so we added a chair & side table that we purchased from one of my favorite places in the entire world, Home Goods.

My next challenge is going to be trying to fit a home office somewhere within my 900-square foot apartment, so hopefully I have the same amount of luck with that project! 

No comments:

Post a Comment